Call for new short plays
What She Said Festival is a celebration of new, short plays by woman-identifying playwrights.
The Underground in Duluth, MN created the festival as an opportunity for women playwrights, directors and actors to have a focused space to express themselves and feature their stories through theater. SEEKING: Submissions for the 2023 What She Said Festival. This will be an evening of 5-8 short plays and monologues written by women playwrights celebrating women and what they have to say. Submit your work(s) any time between now and December 31, 2022.Selected Plays:Will receive 3 staged performances May 11-13th, 2023. Will be awarded a $100 prize. Will be allotted 2 tickets to any performance.
o Deadline: December 31
o Application Fee: None
o Eligibility: Though there are no conditions set on structure, content, or genre, we’re seeking works as part of a celebration of women and their voices. Additionally, as this is a festival with multiple plays, the technical elements will be kept simple and will be a consideration as we are selecting plays. Plays will be selected based on: Relevance to the spirit of the festival – Celebrating women and what they have to say
- The playwright must be woman-identifying.
- A playwright can submit multiple plays, but they must be submitted separately.
- Each submission must be no more than 20 pages (excluding title page) at a font no smaller than 12pt.
- Plays submitted must be unpublished.
- We will only accept non-musical scripts.
- Scripts can only be submitted electronically – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Submissions must be in PDF format
- Title page must contain playwright contact information
- You will receive confirmation that submissions have been received – no other contact will be made unless the script is selected for production.
- Submission Deadline: December 31st at 11:59pm.
o Categories: New Plays